Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Getting in the Groove

Something experts say over and over about raising children is, "Have a schedule." For the longest time, I tried and tried, and tried. Over and over, and over, I failed! I felt like I was never going to get there. I had three kids in a short amount of time and I was overwhelmed with just getting into a good rhythm. It just seemed easier to go with the flow and to not hold to a too tight of a schedule. It seemed to make us tense and frustrated if we failed to do things on time.

But lately, we have been working at getting up every day at the same time. We eat breakfast. We clean up breakfast. The kids have chores that they do, even if it's as simple as emptying their potty chair into the toilet, or throwing away trash, or picking up toys. Then we have worship time where we sing and pray before starting our full day. Then I spent time with my oldest, teaching colors and numbers and things of that sort. I work with my oldest daughter on potty training. I let my youngest just play and color. Then I make lunch. We eat, we clean up lunch and then we have quiet time or outside playing time while I clean, do laundry and start dinner. Then I have some relaxation time with my youngest while my middle child takes a nap. Then my husband is home and I finish chores while he spends daddy time with the kids. Then we eat dinner. The kids help clean up dinner, then we get them dressed for bed and we have a goodnight story. Then my two oldest are in bed and the youngest is spending time with us. I am still working on getting her to bed early. So far, that has been an adventure to say the least. Then once she's asleep, my husband and I focus on us, and our relationship and talking about the day or watching a show together. Then we go to bed.

Getting into that routine was hard. Sounds so nice on paper, right? Oh yes. It's nice alright. Does it happen every day? I'm good if it happens 3-4 times a week! But we are getting there. That is the point.

Being a mother is hard. But something I've found that helped me get to where I'm at today is sheer determination. Like I said, I had three babies in four short years and I had post partum depression. I hated moving somedays. I just wanted to curl up and cry, sleep and zone out to shows. And to be honest, there are days I still do that. Letting the house go and getting pizza and salad for dinner is my lot in life sometimes. But snapping out of that depression and being determined to do something with my life has changed my perspective and has given me so much reason to live and live a full life!

I have days where I get snappy because my children are throwing 100 questions at me every 10 minutes. Some days I just want a moment of peace. Some days I cry on my husband's shoulder because I'm tired and the laundry is pile on my bed...and I have to get it folded before going to sleep. Some days, things just go peachy and everything is great and I feel on top of the world! I think one thing as mothers, that we need, need, MUST remember is that children don't come with handbooks. There isn't a cookie cutter thing to do with raising children. We are going to fail. We are going to mess up. But just getting up and doing it again the next day is what matters. Not giving up and throwing in the towel, but having sheer determination to just keep at it and try to be better. That is what makes a good parent.


No comments:

Post a Comment