Saturday, October 29, 2016

How it Feels To Vote

So, if you've read any of my blogs you might know that I was raised in a religious sect that was quite controlling and didn't condone voting. Well, at least that was my impression. I've been told some people voted, but I don't think that was their typical stance and most of them kept it private if they did it, lest they risk the wrath of the leaders.

While that might be a bit of an exaggeration, I can't be too sure, since they treated different people with the same circumstances differently. Quite confusing, to be honest.

But here I am, half way through my 29th, year and I am no longer associated with those people and I could vote. I could've voted four years ago when we faced an election, but I still wasn't totally sure of who I was or what I believed. It's taken some time for me to lose all the "right and wrong" things I'd learned there.

When I found out that our options were so...what shall I say? Bleak? I battled within myself on who I would vote for. I did a bit of research and struggled through satire news reports and other things that confused me even further on different candidates. I read about Jill Stein. I read about Bernie Sanders when he was in the running. I read about Evan McMullin. I read about Hillary. I heard a LOT about Trump. Lol. For reals though! This election has my head spinning and I had to sit down and pray a lot about who I should pick.

My husband and family loaded up in the car and we drove to the early voting polls and since my husband is not a citizen (don't get your panties in a wad...he's here legally, on a green card, from England), he stayed in the car with our four kids while I got my ID and waltzed into the voting station.

It was nice and dark in there. They had a few smiling ladies and men sitting there, ready to take my ID.

I kept biting my lip to keep from crying. I felt like I was finally apart of something; like I had a voice. Like I could share what I wanted for my country.

The man handed me back my ID and I almost skipped over to the voting station. I stood there and a couple of tears formed in my eyes. I didn't want to look ridiculous, so I quickly wiped my eyes and put the voter card into the machine. It began.

The names swarmed before me. I was surprised to see that the presidential selections weren't the first ones on the ballot. I searched for their names. I didn't vote straight ticket. Probably never will. That's me. I do my research and try to vote for who I feel will lead my country, my state, my city, my schools, etc, correctly and best.

I selected my votes and pressed, "Review Ballot." I reviewed. Everything was correct. Nope, it didn't change!!! No crazy stories for you if that's what you were looking for. It all seemed correct and I was happy about that.

I pressed "Cast Ballot." And I was done. I took the voter card out of the machine and gave it back to the man helping everyone and got my, "I voted" sticker. You can't know how happy I felt to have done my civic duty. I felt free and happy. I felt I'd done the right thing. I felt amazing.

That's how it felt, for me, to vote.

Sorry if this blog seems a little ridiculous or crazy, but I had to document how I felt getting to vote.

Now, to pray for our country and the turmoil it is about to face. God help us, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment