Friday, January 16, 2015

The Victory Dance

Today started out with me bawling my eyes out and feeling completely disheveled and overwhelmed. My little one year old has been enjoying staying up all night for weeks. I have tried everything in the book to get the cute stinker to sleep through the night. But in all 380 something odd days she's been on this earth, she has yet to sleep through the night.  But then 11 am happened.

My four year old son who hasn't been successfully potty trained came to me saying, "I gotta go pee, Mommy!"

Off we ran to the bathroom! I got him situated. Then every so sweetly he said, "Mommy, can you go out and close the door?"  My first reaction was to say no. You know all the images of a tipped over potty chair, the yellow liquid pooling on my nice wood floors and my one year old traipsing through it, tracking it all over the house, went through my mind. Then a little bell went off in my head when I heard "close the door." Bashful bladder syndrome. I, myself, have that (sorry for the TMI) and it's something I've had to work at overcoming as a mother. We all know how it goes with "bathroom time" for us mama's! ;)

So I picked up my one year old who had followed us into the bathroom and I walked out, shutting the door behind me. I went to my bedroom to grab my cellphone and then came around the corner to see my son come blasting out of the bathroom yelling, "Mommy! Mommy! I peed! I peed!" As I peered into the potty chair bowl, sure enough. There was that weirdly longed for liquid gold. I mean pee. I was so happy that I did a little happy dance with my son and immediately notified the whole of social media, my parents and my husband. What a victory! I can't tell you how happy I was to have that news to announce!

I'm not kidding when I say I did a happy dance! I turned on my DVR'd Ellen DeGeneres show and we all danced to the music. I didn't care that my house was a wreck and that my mini-Mt. Everest pile of laundry still hasn't diminished much and that I haven't taken a shower in 5 days. Please don't judge. It's just been one of those weeks. It's those little things that happen and the big things that happen that help keep me sane. Just earlier this week I had come to peace with the fact that my son wasn't going to be potty trained on my terms and I should just let him do it on his own. I had been trying to potty train since he was just a little over a year old. Every few weeks I'd have a go at training for a few days, weeks even a month long at one point. Nothing was working. I felt God remind me that needed to just "let it go" (yes, I did just make a reference to "Frozen") and I finally did. Then things worked out. I am just a happy mama tonight!

Thank You Jesus for helping me!


No comments:

Post a Comment